Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Distressed Type


Taken from my 2008-2009 Towson Women's Lacrosse practice pinnie

Now to be honest, I was pissed when my coaches gave us these reversible mesh jerseys to practice in. At first, I thought that maybe our equipment manager had gotten us defective pinnies and Towson was too cheap to get us properly printed issued gear. I then thought, gosh, just my luck, I bet no one else on my team has a misprinted jersey, but as I looked around at the confusion that was also on my teammate's faces, I realized...all of our jerseys has the same fatigued type. I came to the conclusion that either Towson hired the wrong people to print out clothes, or maybe that's how the letters and numbers were supposed to look. I came to find out that our coaches  had picked the distressed look because it looked "badass" and every since then, I've always thought of this particular style of typeface as just that. Since distressed typography appears to have a bold, rugged quality, I've noticed that it's often used as an attention-getter on posters and usually only used for short sentences that are meant to evoke strong emotions and meaning.
The DesignM.ag site has more examples of distressed typography that I thought was really interesting and you can visit it here: http://designm.ag/inspiration/textured-typography/.

2 comments:

  1. That is a sweet picture, and i love the feeling viewers can get from it. Its hard and colorful, so its like the team means business and it is proud of its name, slash school. IDK if its for Towson but it could be with the black and gold. nice pic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got it, it's definitely for Towson. The colors came out a little more intense when I tweaked it for web posting, but they're pretty much the same in person. Thanks for the comment, Trevor!

    ReplyDelete