Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Historical Type

 Ayd Hardware logo from http://aydhardware.net/

Ayd Hardware is a hardware store located at 6801 York Road, Baltimore MD, 21212, which I pass frequently since it's less than a half mile away from my apartment. I have always enjoyed their typeface choice that appears to be reminiscent of the historical US. This historical font gives the store a family-owned, trustworthy appeal. Since this historical typeface reflects a hardware store, I believe that the typographical design is extremely successful, rather than if it had been used to represent a trendy, hip boutique for young women. In my opinion, historical fonts should not be thought of as antiquated just because today's world is moving into a more contemporary direction. When used for the right design, the subtle simplicity of historical typefaces can visually convey credibility and appeal.

No comments:

Post a Comment