Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Local Flavor Type

Taken in the Sydney Airport in Australia

My lacrosse team went to Australia this summer and right when we got out of customs, this large, rotating picture was on the wall, welcoming us to Sydney. The lines in the picture are actually long, thin, rectagular panels that had three different sides and when the panels flipped in unison, a new picture appeared. I felt this was local flavor typography because the Opera House and the city of Sydney is formed out of letters, which shapes the buildings of the city. The Sydney airport was actually  filled with different graphics like this one, each was a different picture made of flowing typography that reflected the Australian culture. This local flavor typography is much like my earlier post (Psychedelic Type), but this style of type pretty much retains its shape and isn't distorted very much, just arranged in different angles and different colors to form the picture as a whole.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Kara!

    Your Sydney sign is a great find because I had to look twice to recognize that the entire picture is constructed out of letters and that the entire opera building is constructed out of various stretched and shades of "Get into Sydney." Yes, the type style reminds me of the 60s-70s psychedelic type. Thanks for sharing!

    -J. Naomi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This find is really interesting. I find myself staring at it for a long time. It must have been impressive in person. Great find!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this example. How large was it? I like how each element in the design uses a different color palette. It really brings the design to life. I would love to see this in person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This billboard was very large, as in an entire wall, so probably at least 15 feet wide and 10 feet tall. Sydney is a great place to see really interesting arts and crafts. There's lots of street fairs and craft shows all the time!

    ReplyDelete