Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Graffiti

Taken from WickedShift, WordPress Blog.

"You may or may not have heard of this rather genius phenomenon: reverse graffiti. At any rate, I only came across it tonight. It’s hilariously ironic; the graffiti artist in fact cleans walls, rather than covers them in order to create a piece. It helps to have a very dirty surface though. Which luckily most cities have in spades. I just find the idea delightful; it’s sort of like a large-scale equivalent of drawing in the car window condensation on frosty days. Not sure how illegal it is, but people have been prosecuted for it; yes, prosecuted for cleaning walls. As soon as you derive enjoyment from something, it becomes immoral." -WickedShift

This is probably my favorite post, which I saved for last. I found this from this WordPress blog: http://wickedshift.wordpress.com/2008/08/. I was looking for this graffiti site, MUTO, which features graffiti in motion and I stumbled across this "Reverse Graffiti". I think that this type of graffiti is a dichotomy to everything that graffiti stands for. Graffiti hasn't totally been accepted as a public display of art, but rather than an act of defacing public property. The fact that this oxymoron exists and stands for an environmentally-friendly movement is something that I hope spreads and becomes more popular.

1 comment:

  1. I love this example. I've never seen this type of graffiti before. Nice.

    ReplyDelete